- Microdosing refers to the act of consuming very small doses of a psychoactive substance (psilocybin in this case), as a way to experience the benefits of plant medicine without experiencing a full trip.
- Microdosing has become increasingly well-known in the medical field, as being an effective tool in the treatment of depression and anxiety.
- A low dose of psilocybin on a common basis can allow individuals to improve their lifestyle and mental state, without interrupting their day to day routine.
The Benefits of Microdosing:
- Anecdotal reports suggest that microdosing can create positive changes in productivity, creativity, and mood.
- Research shows that psilocybin mimics serotonin in the brain, a neurotransmitter responsible for mood, appetite, pain, and sleep.
- Entheogenic substances such as psilocybin, can expand the mind through spiritual revelations and introspective learning.
- Psilocybin binds to serotonin receptors in the brain, causing changes in brain connectivity. These changes may enhance cognitive abilities such as focus and memory.
- Research has suggested that microdosing may increase neural plasticity, contributing to enhanced cognitive flexibility and new ways of thinking.
- Trials have shown significant improvements in patients suffering from anxiety and depression, as a result of psilocybin use.
- Psilocybin can modulate activity within the Default Mode Network (DMN) of the brain.
- Studies have shown that psilocybin can reduce activity in the DMN, allotting for increased feeling of connectedness and empathy.
- Decreased DMN activity can offer anxiolytic as well as antidepressant effects, while interrupting the inner identity that may be unwell.
- The DMN is involved in the autobiographical story of ourselves. When engaged, the DMN consumes approximately 80% of the brain’s energy; which has implications for OCD, generalized anxiety, and major depressive disorder.
- Microdosing can help alleviate brain fog, allowing the mind to think more clearly and productively.
Psilocybin v. Pharmaceutical Intervention:
- Pharmaceutical intervention typically involves the administration of antidepressants such as SSRIs or antipsychotics, which can bring on a magnitude of negative side effects.
- While the Pharmaceutical route can take several weeks to take effect, the effects of psilocybin can be felt rapidly upon ingestion.
- The therapeutic effects of psilocybin works on mental health by getting to the root of the cause, while pharmaceutical drugs tend to work by masking the symptoms.
- Research has shown that the efficacy of psilocybin is not only beneficial onset, but can last weeks and even months after the initial psilocybin experience without needing to redose.
- The side effects of psilocybin use are impressively low.
- Users have documented positive changes in all of the “Big 5” personality traits. Openness, Conscientiousness, Extroversion, Agreeability, and Neuroticism.
Are there any contraindications?
- Microdosing may interact with other medications such as antidepressants (SSRIs), or stimulant drugs such as Methylphenidates. It is important to consult with a trust-worthy healthcare professional before weaning off any sort of medication.
- A single dose of psilocybin produces the formation of neural growth that persists over the span of one month.
- It is recommended that pregnant or breastfeeding individuals avoid microdosing.
- Spurs the growth of neural connections lost in depression; as depression is rooted in a narrowing of perceptions.
Is microdosing safe?
- Psilocybin has been deemed as the safest recreational substance in the world.
- The practice of microdosing psilocybin may assist in breaking unhealthy habits, such as smoking and alcohol abuse.
- The effects of microdosing are subtle, yet profound.
Is microdosing addictive?
- The short answer is NO.
- Research indicates that psilocybin is not a substance that creates addiction or dependency.
- Microdosing does not result in the individual feeling “high”, and therefore does not cause the craving or withdrawal symptoms experienced with other drugs or alcohol.
How do I microdose?
- We believe that setting an intention plays a key role in achieving peak microdosing success. An intention could be: breaking an old habit like smoking, committing to an overall healthier lifestyle, buckling down on a creative project, or hoping to increase human connection. There are various microdosing protocols you can follow depending on which schedule works best for you. We often recommend the course of taking a microdose for 2 consecutive months on a schedule of 5 days on and 2 days off, though the ideal schedule will vary from person to person.
Is It safe to perform my typical responsibilities while microdosing?
- The aim of microdosing is to elicit therapeutic benefits without any disruptive effects to the individuals daily functioning.
- To increase relaxation as you ease into a new practice, we recommend starting with a low dose on a day off where you can simply focus on yourself.
- The onset effects of microdosing will vary depending on the person, therefore it is good to not go in with any concrete expectations.
How long until I feel improvements?
- There is no one answer that fits everyone. Some will notice improvements from microdosing immediately, while others will notice more subtle changes over the course of their practice.
- We suggest microdosing for a 2 month period of time, with a 5 days on 2 days off cycle to experience the full benefit of treatment.
- Improvements in personality, changes in social functioning & connectedness can be observed after 2-3 days of beginning microdosing.
- At times, it is the most subtle effects that work the most magic.
What do I do if the effect is too strong?
- When first beginning to microdose, the first or second dose may feel a little overwhelming and potentially cause feelings of mild anxiety and unusual blood flow in the brain. Feelings of jitteriness or nervousness may occur as a result of this, which is entirely normal and will subside in minimal time. Staying hydrated and deep breathing can help alleviate these effects, though it is most recommended that you start at a low dose when beginning your microdosing journey. If these feelings persist, we highly recommend our lowest dose which is 30mg.
My teenager suffers from depression, can they microdose?
Will the product upset my stomach?
Product specific questions